The Mozambique will still remain a meme.
It has been just a month, and Apex Legends has become one of the biggest games in the market right now. It is giving Fortnite a tough competition on Twitch, and now has a user base of 50 million players.
The game did have some balance issues, as is common with every new game. But it was still very well polished and one of the most balanced games on a launch.
The balance issues most people complained were regarding the abysmal Mozambique pistol and the OP Wingman as well as the problem with hitboxes of certain characters like Gibraltar and Pathfinder. Needless to say, a balance patch was much needed. But I am a bit surprised at the fact that the patch came before the first season.
The Wingman and Peacekeeper have received nerfs:
- Rate of fire reduced from 3.1 -> 2.6 shots per second.
- Skullpiercer Headshot damage multiplier reduced from 2.5 -> 2.25
- Increased base hip fire spread and decreased the rate at which hip fire spread decays (shrinks back down).
- Shotgun Bolt rechamber rate has been reduced for the Peacekeeper only.
- Level 1 mitigation 10% -> 7.5%
- Level 2 mitigation 20% -> 13%
- Level 3 mitigation 25% -> 16%
- Wingman and Peacekeeper availability has been reduced in all zone tiers.
- Increased availability of energy weapons & ammo in all zone tiers.
Regarding the nerfs, this is what Respawn had to say:
Overall, we feel that the current weapons present solid options for a variety of gameplay styles. We've found that the Skullpiercer Wingman has been on the stronger end, but it’s designed to be a weapon with a higher skill ceiling. Our adjustments are attempting to move it more into the hand cannon space and away from full auto Deagle. We’ve also adjusted the rate of fire of the Peacekeeper with Shotgun Bolt attachment, so players will have a larger window of vulnerability if they miss their shot.
On the other hand, the Mozambique hasn’t been buffed, because the memes are too good, and Respawn doesn’t want to lose that. The developers of Apex have also made it clear that they want a “Power Curve” for the weapons, meaning they want some weapons to be weaker than the rest, and some weapons to be weak unless they are fully kitted.
Respawn have yet again acknowledged that their “large Rig Sized” characters are a tad bit underpowered. They said that rather than nerfing other characters, they would first buff these underpowered ones.
Overall, we want to try to increase the power level of the large rig characters, before we consider large nerfs to everyone else.
What nerfs do they have in mind in case these changes are insufficient?
If these changes are insufficient to bring these characters in line, we’re also considering a range of other changes such as natural damage reduction as well as individual kit power tweaks. Because many of these changes are significant, we want to make sure they are heavily tested before they go live, in the event they are necessary.
And finally, here are the Legend adjustments Respawn plans to make at the start of season 1:
Major balance changes:
- Hit box size reductions and optimizations for Caustic, Pathfinder and Gibraltar
- We’re better sizing hitboxes to character gear & model
- Since these adjustments have a MAJOR impact on the game, we want to make sure there aren't any major bugs, so we didn’t want to rush them out
- If these adjustments prove to be insufficient, we’ll consider additional adjustments during Season 1
Minor balance changes:
- Traps - Reduced cooldown to 25 seconds from 30 seconds
- Traps - Increased radius and proximity radius by about 10%
- Traps - Removed a 1 second delay on the smoke dealing damage to players
- Insider Knowledge - Increased the number of beacons in the world to 12 from 10
- Care Package - Removed slight chance that level 4 armor and helmets will drop
- Into The Void - Cooldown increased from 20 -> 25 seconds
- Double Time - Reduced move speed bonus to 30% from 40%